Deborah Morosini, MD, MSW
Deborah Morosini, MD, MSW
MD Pathologist, seasoned cancer activist & MSW seeks meaningful opportunity to contribute unique expertise combining medical & philanthropic synergies. Biotech & pharmaceutical professional experience (10 years) & noted national speaker & media presence.
PROVIA LABS, LLC, Lexington, MA: September 2012 - present
Medical services company providing cryo-preservation of dental stem cells and biobanking advisory expertise to pharmaceutical, academic, and government medical research clients.
STORE-A-TOOTH dental stem cell banking
- Leveraged professional contacts to ensure presence of leading stem cell researchers on advisory board.
- Review and refine biobanking specimen collection and sample handling
- Strategic input on potential new scientific breakthroughs in application of dental stem cells.
TREAT WELLNESS. LLC, Newton, MA: May 2011- present
Dr, Kathleen O’Neil Smith, MD, Functional and Regenerative Medicine
- Provide strategic advisory services, and delivery of print and video content.
- Launched & co-led small group, community building integrative wellness courses (2011)
Oncology Translational Science: Waltham, MA: January, 2007 – April, 2012
Molecular Pathologist II
Created Discovery Medicine Pathology Department to provide pathology & IHC services to support disease association across small molecule & biologics oncology portfolio. Provide pathology support for development of 15 global oncology small molecule compounds, 2 disease area teams (hematological malignancies & lung cancer) & specialized biology areas (cell death & metabolism)
CLINICAL BIOMARKER TRIALS: ONCOLOGY
- Delivered IHC based biomarker strategy to support development of 3 targeted oncology compounds currently in phase I
- Ongoing consultation with global clinical operations to ensure optimal sample collection & sample handling
- Pathology interpretation of human clinical paired biopsy samples
- Identified & delivered ethically-sourced primary human tumor patient samples to support primary explants model build at AZ-Waltham.
- Created seamless working environment between in vitro & IHC capabilities: researching appropriate antibodies, WB validation, identification of appropriate cell line & tissue controls, Taqman & IHC on matched pre-clinical and clinical samples to provide high quality antibody validation package
- Delivered directional data packages for oncology disease association for numerous small molecule targeted oncology agents.
- Drove adaptation of global TMA IHC platform enabling interrogation of annotated TMAs across multiple analytes
- MDACC: Ongoing pathology & IHC collaboration with Ignacio Wistuba (Lung Pathologist) evaluating well annotated lung TMAs for target expression by IHC
- TGEN: sample curation and selection for breast tumor gene expression studies in collaboration with TGEN & external academic breast surgeon.
- Leveraged professional relationship with Director of Pathology at regional NE medical center to initiate & support a source of fresh tumor tissue for pilot primary tumor explant development at AZ.
GLOBAL WORKINGS: ONCOLOGY & HUMAN BIOLOGICAL SAMPLES
- Developed & mentored 2 direct reports
- Create a vibrant and innovative working environment where improvements & new ideas are adopted & freely shared among the team
- Pivotal role in establishing state of the art oncology translational medicine department at AZ, including evaluation of novel platforms for RNA & protein based analysis for pre-clinical & clinical trial use
- Drove development of streamlined database for antibody validation data (AVDB) in collaboration with in-vitro & bio-informatics group. AVDB obviates need for verbal transfer of information & ensures that complete pre-clinical data packages are delivered. This user-friendly system allows for greater transparency & smoother workings between teams, as well as offering internal QC to the user entering the data
CYTOMYX: Lexington, MA: 2002 – 2006
Director of Pathology
Molecular Pathologist for Clinical Genomics biotechnology venture, specializing in the acquisition, evaluation, & characterization of ethically acquired human tissue (formerly Ardais Corporation)
- Evaluate frozen and paraffin sections and render diagnosis on individual slides.
Correlate diagnoses of individual tissue section with patient’s surgical pathology report.
- Enter diagnosis and specific histological components of each slide into database.
Photograph illustrative images.
- Supervised highly customized immunohistochemistry service, including sample selection, study design & detailed report generation, using novel antibodies for biotech and Big Pharma clients
TISSUE MICROARRAYS (TMAs)
- Sample selection and QC for multi disease TMAs
- Participated in site selection & evaluation for university based tissue banking source, including sample evaluation, & banking specifications
- Created SOPs for pathology functions
- Participated in data quality team to evaluate systems and processes in pathology & clinical data acquisition & retrieval
- Worked closely with scientific liaison & sales force to interpret & fulfill customer requests
- Performed QC on samples presented to customer, including diagnosis, images, tissue composition & pathology report.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY PROGRAMS (ATP) GRANT TEAM MEMBER (2002-2004)
- Federally funded project to develop data element taxonomy (DET) of disease models for use by genomic researchers
- Research & recommend appropriate diagnosis groups and data elements
MALLORY INSTITUTE OF PATHOLOGY
BOSTON MEDICAL CENTER, Boston, MA: 1997-2002
Chief Resident: 2001-2002
Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology resident and teaching fellow
· American Association of Clinical Chemists (AACC) meeting, July 2001, poster presentation:
Can random or first morning urines be used in place of 24 hour collections in the assessment of monoclonal light chain proteinuria?
· Chemistry liaison for multi-center, 3 year study (GIK study) with cardio-thoracic surgery department at Boston Medical Center & Diabetes Research Lab at Baystate Medical Center
· Designed pathology web site for USMLE Board Review for BMC medical students in conjunction with Pathology Dept. head (Dr. Michael O’Brien). Project includes gross and microscopic images, case histories, & multiple-choice questions linked to current review articles.
BOSTON MEDICAL CENTER, Boston, MA: 1997-2002: Pathology Residency AP/CP
- Chief Resident
BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, Boston, MA: 1990-97: MD
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY Post BA/Pre-Med Program, NYC, New York: 1987-89
NYU GRADUATE SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK, NYC, New York: 1984-87: MSW
MOUNT HOLYOKE COLLEGE, South Hadley, and MA 1980: BA, English
Anti-Angiogenic and metastatic activity of JAK inhibitor AZD1480
HongXin…DeborahMorosini…RichardJove…HuaYuCancer Research, October31, 2011
Amplifications, gene fusions, and therapeutic targets in triple negative and refractory ER+ and HER2+ breast cancers.
Lai Z, Morosini D, Webster K, Yu L,... Tembe W, and Barrett MT. (presentation at TGEN retreat, Oct. 2011)
High resolution genomics profiling and integrative approach identifies novel drug
targets in breast cancer
Zhongwu Lai., Deborah Morosini1, Jamal Carlos Saeh1, Michael Zinda1, Kevin Webster1, Mark Basik3, Jeff Kiefer, Michael Barrett, Lihua Yu, Keystone conference June 2011 (abstract)
Assessment of Chk1 phosphorylation as a pharmacodynamic biomarker of Chk1
Leslie Parsels, ..Deborah Morosini…Meredith Morgan;Clinical Cancer Research March 07, 2011
Mechanism of Radiosensitization by the Chk1/2 Inhibitor AZD7762 Involves Abrogation of the G2 Checkpoint and Inhibition of Homologous Recombinational DNA Repair
Morgan,M,...Morosini...Cook, JohnCancer Research 70(12)June15, 2010
The Jak2 Inhibitor AZ1480 Potently Blocks Stat3 Signaling and Oncogenesis in Solid
Hedvat, ..Morosini..Zinda,Cancer Cell 16, December 8, 2009.
While serving on the Board of Directors of 3 national oncology focused foundations: Lung Cancer Alliance, National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Foundation & the NCI-DCLG (Director’s Consumer Liaison Group) I have cultivated & created partnerships among the organizations to maximize our collective impact.
OBTAIN CRITICAL FUNDING & ENDORSEMENT FROM KEY STAKEHOLDERS
- Brokered co-branding of NCCN Lung Cancer Screening Guidelines (LCA & NCCN) and ensured $25k annual funding and publicity mechanism for distribution (2012)
- Secured permission to name Lung Cancer Treatment Guidelines guidelines in memory and honor of my late sister Dana Reeve. Personal appearance at National Press Club media launch resulted in unprecedented number of media hits (2010).
- Nominated & secured prominent board member Russell Budd, JD (Baron & Budd). Budd subsequently financed mesothelioma guidelines for NCCN with donations in excess of $175k (2011-2012)
- Directed donations ($25,000 +) in honor of my speaking engagements for corporate and private donors.
CREATING CONNECTIONS BETWEEN CHANGE MAKERS
- Create, nurture & facilitate ongoing partnerships to support the legacy & vision of Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Foundation (CPRF) Evolving partnerships include those among Team Fight to Walk (Professional Boxers donating their purses to SCI research), Dr Stephanie Peabody (CNS Lifespan software) & Roman Reed (SC activist & former NFL draft)
- Strategic advisor to founder of SPACE on RYDER FARM, an emerging artists retreat located on an historic family farm in Brewster, NY. Benefit committee member December 2012.
- Contribute guidance & programming to First Star Academy (summer learning academy for teens in foster care) by providing ongoing programming expertise to founder Peter Samuelson.
- Mentored Best Day Foundation board member to successfully obtain $10k funding for beach wheelchairs providing access to water-sports for disabled young athletes.
LINKING CELEBRITY & PHILANTHROPY TO RAISE AWARENESS & RESEARCH DOLLARS
- Since 2006, I have been honored to present numerous high profile awards to and with well-known artists and celebrities including Meryl Streep, Mark Rufalo, Robin Williams, & Jerry Seinfeld.
- I have shared the stage as a speaker with Mariska Hargitay, Marcia Gae Harden, Sam Donaldson, & Lance Armstrong.
- Each of these appearances has been in the service of raising awareness and research dollars for cancer.
EXPERIENCED INTERACTIONS WITH FEDERAL AGENCIES & CONGRESS
- Board membership on the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Director’s Consumer Liaison Group (2008-2012) has afforded me the opportunity to interact closely with 2 NCI Directors (Dr.’s Neidherhuber & Varmus) as well as KOLs within the NCI, FDA & NIH. Dr Varmus has graciously included me in NCI staff retreats as well as his selective Provocative Questions Roundtable.
- Testified at SSA Compassionate Care hearings (2008) before SSA Director, Michael Astrue, with whom I’ve developed an ongoing collegial relationship.
- Presented Women & Lung Cancer white paper at Congressional luncheon & Women in Government Cancer Summit (2010-2011)
FOSTERING RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN INDUSTRY & PATIENT ADVOCACY COMMUNITY
- NIH HHS Policy for Protection of Human Research Subjects: Common Rule (2011): Reviewed & submitted comments with fellow DCLG members, which were then shared internally at AstraZeneca to better align internal AstraZeneca policies with patient advocacy view. Brokered meetings with NCI-OAR (Office of Advocacy Relations) & AZ VP of Global Bioethics Policy to ensure ongoing dialogue.
GLOBAL VOLUNTEER TRAVEL & SERVICE
- Raised funds & traveled to Port Au Prince, Haiti with Yoga Hope team to train AMURT-AYITI community leaders in trauma-informed mind-body yoga: April 2012
- Physicians for Human Rights (PHR): Participated in intensive training seminar (September 2012) on documenting physical and psychological trauma in immigrant survivors of torture and other human rights abuses and advanced forensic training to increase effectiveness of evaluations and testimony.
- Applicant for PHR Asylum Network
- Volunteer travel to Peruvian Amazon (Earthwatch) & Kerala, India with my 2 teenage sons.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- Upstage Lung Cancer Fan award 2011
- Nominated for the AstraZeneca Jefferson award for outstanding public service 2011
- ALA California: honorary state LUNG health walk chair 2008
- Simply the Best award: Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation 2007
SELECTED MEDIA/ADVOCACY EXPERIENCE
- Luke Moretti family benefit for Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation (CRPF), NY, October 2012
- Cancer Support Community Embrace Hope Luncheon, Basking Ridge, NJ, April 2012
- Massachusetts BioEd foundation, Bio-futures Day, Fitchburg State University, MA January 2012
- Somerset Medical Center, Steeplechase Cancer Center: Updates on Lung Cancer, November 2011
- A Magical Evening (CRPF), NYC, November 2011
- Tufts Dental School Honors Society convocation: Boston, MA, May 2011
- SOWEGA Cancer Consortium: Women & Lung Cancer. Albany, Georgia, April 2011
- Lung Cancer Alliance Capitol Hill Advocacy conference: keynote speaker, January 2011
- Women & Lung Cancer: Brigham & Women’s Hospital, September 2010
- NCCN Press Conference: National Press Club, Washington DC, September 2010
- Women & Lung Cancer: Congressional Luncheon: May 2010
- NCCN 15
Care at the End of Life" March, 2010
Walk: NYC, October 2008
Fairfield, CT, June 2007
Anniversary Gala, April 2006